Trustees : The Pirbright Institute
- Title: Trustees : The Pirbright Institute
- Salary: Voluntary plus expenses
- Location: Surrey
- Contact: Peter Fenton
- Reference: W / B146
This vacancy is now complete
Looking for active jobs?
The Pirbright Institute, based near to Woking in Surrey, is one of the world’s leading scientific research bodies involved in preventing and controlling viral diseases of livestock by undertaking ground-breaking research into viral pathogens. Its scientists have made important global contributions to farming, industry and society by employing fundamental and applied research – www.pirbright.ac.uk. With the impending retirement of some existing Trustees, the Institute now seeks to appoint a number of exceptional individuals with the credibility and gravitas to further strengthen the Board. The Institute is a charity and also a limited company; it is largely funded by UKRI. The positions are currently unremunerated but expenses will be reimbursed. Appointments are normally for three years with the possibility of extension.
- Responsible to the Chairman, each Trustee will provide proper guidance and oversight for the Institute’s affairs
- Trustees are responsible for setting strategic direction and ensuring that the Institute’s strategic objectives are delivered
- Trustees are expected to exercise independent judgement and to work at all times in the best interest of the Institute
- Trustees must work in accord with Charity Commission requirements and in line with the Institute’s articles of association
- Required areas of specialisation on the Board include Human Resources, Public Relations & Communications, Risk Management, Corporate Governance, Health & Safety, Finance, Commerce and Science
- Strategic leaders with proven senior track records in the public or private sectors
- Skilled and experienced leaders with the ability and desire to continue to foster a ‘best in class’ research environment to cement a global legacy
- Excellent team players; willing and able to work collaboratively
- Articulate and persuasive communicators with the gravitas to influence Board and senior operational colleagues
- Clear thinkers with individual areas of expertise and the ability to help shape the future of the Institute
- Determined and politically adept
- An interest/involvement in livestock veterinary matters, livestock farming, science or technology is desirable
- Trustees are expected to attend 6 Board meetings each year and to either Chair or be a member of one of three Board sub-committees; meetings are normally held at Pirbright; time commitment is up to 20 days each year
Read our Success Stories
Find out how our candidates got on:
Interested in other opportunities?
We welcome direct speculative approaches from potential candidates. If you would like to submit your CV it will be reviewed by a member of the team and kept on our database.