Operations Director - Chiltern Railways
- Title: Operations Director - Chiltern Railways
- Type: Executive search
- Location: London
- Contact: Neil Watkins
- Reference: W/L118
This vacancy is now complete
Looking for active jobs?
- Plan and deliver sufficient resources to operate the train service plan. This includes drivers, train managers, station dispatchers, fleet and control.
- Ensure all train service operations are delivered in compliance with the company’s safety plan, including operational standards, safety of line requirements (incl. rule book), staff competence and fitness for duty.
- Devise and implement contingency arrangements to minimise the impact of service disruption.
- Provide effective communication of the current and planned train service delivery, to all internal and external parties specified.
- Plan and deliver operational performance processes to ensure the train service achieves specified performance targets, including management of contractual performance arrangements with Network Rail, London Underground and DfT.
- Ensure that performance plans are drawn up and regularly reviewed as an integral part of the performance management system enabling accurate forecasting and the successful delivery of Chiltern’s punctuality targets.
- Plan and deliver the directorate’s financial budgets. Ensure all activity is continuously optimised to outperform targets and improve productivity.
- Develop effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including trade unions and key suppliers such as Network Rail, London Underground.
- Act as an integral part of the Arriva group operations team, providing support and activity to support group objectives.
- Represent Chiltern on operational, cross industry matters.
Leadership & Management Responsibilities
- Act in accordance with the legal responsibilities of a Director of Chiltern Railways. Ensure the company operated in a legal, ethical and responsible manner.
- Act as a leader and role model in line with the company’s values and behaviours. Ensure your directorate embodies the company’s culture and constantly acts to deliver the highest customer service.
- Motivate, coach and support individuals in order to maximise their performance and enable career progression in accordance with the company’s HR development processes. Give recognition and praise, challenge poor performance and provide support.
Health, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities
- Act as a leader and role model in line with the company’s Health, Safety and Environmental plan. Ensure your directorate embodies the company’s Safety Plan and delivers the highest Safety standards.
- The post holder must comply with the company’s Drug and Alcohol policy.
- Role specific responsibilities are detailed in a separate Safety Responsibility Statement (SRS).
- Education to degree standard, or demonstration of equivalent capability
- Proven leadership, communication and interpersonal skills; able to operate from front line to the Boardroom
- A senior manager, competent to assume the role of a Director of an operational business
- Extensive in-depth knowledge of railway operations, industry structure, contractual and operational arrangements
- As part of the role, the post holder will be required to attain:
- Personal Track Safety
- Driving Cab Competence
- Rules and Regulations certification as appropriate to GE/RT8000
- Membership of the Institution of Railway Operators (IRO)
- Data Protection, Competition and Anti-Bribery compliance certification
Read our Success Stories
Find out how our candidates got on:
Interested in other opportunities?
We welcome direct speculative approaches from potential candidates. If you would like to submit your CV it will be reviewed by a member of the team and kept on our database.