Head of Engineering
- Title: Head of Engineering
- Salary: c.£100,000
- Location: North West/Cumbria
- Benefits: Full benefits
- Contact: Charles Cornwell
- Reference: W/B045
Sellafield Ltd (the company) is a nuclear decommissioning Site Licence Company controlled by the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA). The company is responsible for safely delivering the decommissioning and clean-up of the UK’s nuclear legacy in Cumbria as well as fuel recycling and the management of low, high and intermediate level waste activities.
The company employs around 10,600 workers and nearly 1,000 agency staff. The company must control its spending within agreed funding levels from the NDA and in 2015 it spent 100% of that funding with costs under management of £1,972 million.
Looking forward the company is facing unique challenges in respect of the safe clean up and decommissioning of legacy waste ponds and Silos buildings and as such invested over £90 million in R&D across the sites last year alone.
- To shape and lead the engineering transformation agenda over the coming years and swiftly develop in order to succeed the current Chief Engineer and drive the engineering strategy forward to the next level.
- Redefine the engineering delivery model for the provision of plant engineering services, capabilities and standards in the short medium and long term by working with the senior engineering management team, unions and internal and external stakeholders alike.
- Ensure that Sellafield Ltd’s performance and efficiency is enhanced whilst the highest standards in safety, security and quality is maintained. Lead with a focus on agile and innovative fit-for-purpose engineering solutions and help the workforce transition over the next 5-10 years.
- The ability to look at the site and its plant, assets and specialist engineering resource as a whole in order to deliver the Engineering Strategy is critical. Commercial and operational leadership with a track record of effective Capex expenditure in order to achieve set targets.
- Suitable candidates for this role will demonstrate a blend of diverse engineering expertise and exceptional leadership qualities. Knowledge and understanding of regulated industries and safety oriented environments to bring up-to-date thinking and commercial nous to the nuclear arena is crucial rather than direct nuclear experience.
- Strong oversight in engineering management and driven to achieve robust innovative solutions and leading change at an industry and organisational level is key. Credible applicants will possess a track record of creating shared internal and external partnerships and cross departmental working with partner organisations, unions and the extended supply chain.
- In order to lead this defining engineering function and align the interests of this critical national asset the gravitas and ability to influence and motivate at an executive level is paramount. Effective experience in driving cultural change by engaging with the senior leadership team and the technical resource alike.
Read our Success Stories
Find out how our candidates got on:
Interested in other opportunities?
We welcome direct speculative approaches from potential candidates. If you would like to submit your CV it will be reviewed by a member of the team and kept on our database.