- Title: Executive Director
- Type: Advertised selection
- Salary: To £70,000 + Pension
- Location: London
- Contact: Phil de Glanville
- Reference: W/L088
Categories: Third Sector
This vacancy is now complete
Looking for active jobs?
The Royal Astronomical Society was established in 1820 and is incorporated by Royal Charter. With almost 4,000 Fellows it is the leading UK body representing the interests of astronomers, and geophysicists. The Society promotes and disseminates the study of astronomy, and geophysics. It organises scientific meetings, publishes world leading research journals, and awards grants and prizes. It also regularly contributes to the formulation of the UK government’s science policy and provides the media with expert commentary.
Varied and challenging role providing direction, leadership and motivation to the Society, its resources and dedicated professional staff;
Delivers the strategy decided by the Council (Board of Trustees) helping to shape and develop the Society’s future. Engages with the Society’s wider membership. Ensures the Society fulfils its charitable objectives and maintains proper governance.
Supervises and leads the Society’s administration, finance and all events. Leads on modernising the Society, embedding new working practices and a culture that is open, transparent and forward thinking.
Acts as an ambassador for the Society across a variety of forums including interactions with government.
- Open and dynamic self-starter with proven management record at a senior level in either public or private sector. Experience of working with a Board and an ability to develop positive and robust professional relationships.
- Knowledge of corporate governance together with the ability to assimilate the requirements specific to charitable organisations.
- Demonstrable experience of thinking strategically, as well as undertaking detailed business planning and implementation. Knowledge of leading organisation development.
- Personality to interact effectively with people at all levels and a commitment to diversity and equality. Interest in and respect for science, and experience in policy formulation an advantage.
Read our Success Stories
Find out how our candidates got on:
Interested in other opportunities?
We welcome direct speculative approaches from potential candidates. If you would like to submit your CV it will be reviewed by a member of the team and kept on our database.